One of the wealthiest communities in the U.S., Burr Ridge has humble beginnings. Much of the Village's original property was a pig farm and land that formerly housed the Bridewell Prison Farm. On October 30, 1956, 143 local residents incorporated as the Village of Harvester--reflecting the importance of the nearby International Harvester research facility. In August 1962 the Village changed its name from Harvester to Burr Ridge. For a more detailed history of Burr Ridge visit the Village's website and the online Encyclopedia of Chicago's entry on Burr Ridge. Stop by the library to peruse A Very Special Place by Purdie McCullough and Historic Burr Ridge, Indian Head Park, Countryside: a graphic and pictorial history of the area and its people.
A visit to the Flagg Creek Heritage Society's Historical Museum and the Vial House will bring the history of Burr Ridge and its surrounding area to life. Part of the Pleasantdale Park District, the Flagg Creek Heritage Museum is open the first Sunday of every month, April-October from 2 - 4 pm. and from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. on most Mondays all year.
Be sure to visit the library's Flickr account to view the Darien Historical Society and Willowbrook history collections. We would love to add historic photos of Burr Ridge--especially of the farms, early families, churches, and schools. If you have photos that we could scan, please contact Mary Krekelberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 630-887-876, ext. 240.