While this week’s attacks are still under investigation, the spread of hate speech and violence against AAPI individuals, especially during the pandemic, is undeniable. According to data compiled by California State University’s Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism, hate-fueled attacks against Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) rose by 150% in 2020. Indian Prairie Public Library stands in solidarity with AAPI individuals and firmly denounces all forms of racism.
At Indian Prairie, we support equity, diversity, and inclusion in our services and our collections to reflect the range of cultures in our community and beyond. We want our AAPI community to feel safe and supported.
To learn more about Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders, we recommend the following titles by AAPI creators:
Ignite Change celebrates diversity and fosters equity and justice, providing a form for the community to learn about relevant social issues.
Antiracist Reading Challenge
For teens in grades 7-12. Are you ready to be the change? Are you willing to put in the effort required to work towards antiracism? Read 5 of the 30 books and engage in activity prompts to earn digital badges and your own copy of one of the books listed in the challenge.
All Ages. “Read Woke is a movement. It is a form of education. It is a call to action. ”According to its founder Cicely Lewis, a Read Woke book must:
- Challenge a social norm
- Give voice to the voiceless
- Provide information about a group that has been disenfranchised
- Seek to challenge the status quo
- Have a protagonist from an underrepresented or oppressed group
- Discover diverse books, log activities, and READ WOKE!
Ignite Change Reading Lists
Here are reading lists to get you started.
- Antiracism for Adults
- Antiracism for Mid Kids
- Antiracism for Teens
- Asian American Authors
- Asian American Authors for Kids
- Asian American Authors for Mid-Kids
- Asian American Authors for Teens
- Black Authors for Mid Kids
- Black Authors for Teens
- Black Joy
- Black Novelists on Race in America
- Black Voices: Historical Fiction
- Black Voices: Memoirs, Essays, & Poetry
- Celebrating Black Children
- Race & Restorative Justice Reading and Viewing List
- Social Justice & Systemic Racism
- Stand Against Racism (Kids)
- Urban Fiction